Monday, December 3, 2012

THROW BACK FASHION/STYLE MUSIC VIDEO: HEY LOVER- LL COOL J

Hey Lover- LL Cool J
It was the mid nineties and I was in seventh grade living in Decatur, GA with absolutely no fashion sense at all lol. I had previously attended a private school in Gadsden, AL, for six years straight wearing nothing but homemade  knee length dresses and skirts (hey when I was growing up there was no "jr. plus" smdh) the dress code in the strict Christian school I attended stated that it was indecent for girls to wear pants (yep swallow that and get back to me lol).

 Anyway, on the weekends I basically rocked the most comfortable clothes on the planet- baggy boy clothes.  My style was reminiscent of 90's rappers at the time with the team jerseys, striped polo shirts, creased white tees, (I was spending half my monthly allowance on spray starch, and the other half on the Source magazine, don't judge) a  jogging pants (one leg up, and then both up when that soon played smdh) and baggy jeans.

 So understand that when I first saw this video it was all about LL's swag- his throwback jerseys and and leather jackets, but then a strange thing happened... I took notice of actress Gillian lliana Waters outfits and was instantly knocked upside the head by the style fairies!  She rocked Chanel, Prada, and Coach, slick leather skirt sets with oversize jackets, knapsacks and clear plastic ensembles, the original sneaker heels with the  chunky 90's thick sole, and last but not least, the flyest, cutest idea for a purse ever- the pink teddy bear back pack!

 (And yes I did beg, plead and throw the most obvious hints til I got a brown replica that Christmas exactly two months after the video came out..thanks Mom! Now when I think about it she probably just was happy I wanted a purse lol.)

 Everything in this video caught my eye and when I went back to school after that winter break I saw just how much of an influence music videos had on me and my peers. All the boys were rocking FUBU gear and the girls definitely had the sneaker pumps and some version of the teddy bear back pack or imitation nylon Prada/DKNY knapsacks... (shout outs to the Candler Rd. flea markets my mom and my aunt took me to on the weekends, I stayed in the latest knockoff urban fashions lol).

I mean yeah- I still dressed like a rapper 93.6% of the time but on the days I decided to get girly I was semi cute lol. Anyway, get into Ms. Things in the video and if her style don't get ya, LL's entire existence surely will...











No comments:

Post a Comment