Tuesday, June 4, 2013

THE FLY GIRL DRINK&SWAP

Shop and swaps (where people come bring and trade clothes) have been popping up all over the country and I have even heard of a few here in Cleveland, but had been to none. The idea excited me and I decided to research and find out what I needed to do in order to host one of my own. There is a wealth of info on the web of course and the one thing I noticed is that there very few specifically for plus size women and when I read comments on blogs and boards the number one complaint was the lack of items at these events for big girls. DING DING DING! I would host one strictly for plus size women!

It took me about a month of planning and I still did not know what to expect, how many ladies would show up, what would we do, how would I handle and organize the clothes, what if there was an argument if someone wanted the same thing? I started from the very beginning and put the feelers out there by questioning my friends and social media associates, then I planned a plus sized photo shoot around it where I got behind the camera for the first time and shot my girl Porche, an actress from the Maternal Pride movie, and Jasmine, the director of same film.  I used the edits as advertisements and flyers for the swap and started a Facebook group with all the details and information.  There was a great response and I moved forward with the execution.

Porche
Jasmine 
The swap would consist of drinks and appetizers, fashion and styling tips,I was to include hair and makeup tips from experts, we would play fashion trivia games, shop and then have a mini runway show, which I had asked Jasmine to film. I had even found a photographer to take extra photos for me throughout the event.

The day before I got a cancellation from the hairstylist and it was too late for me to find someone else. Then the morning of I received messages from both Jasmine and the photographer saying they weren't gonna be able to make it.  Luckily, or unfortunately I'm used to these sorts of things happening and was already prepared with alternatives (do it all myself lol) so it really didn't even bother me and thank goodness my angel of a friend Jesse came through and helped me out TREMENDOUSLY!! He was craft services, dishwasher, labeler, he taped things, folded and hung clothes, merchandised, built things, assembled beautiful bags and even took on the role as both photographer and videographer! He certainly held it down  and (he snapped most of the photos too) I am so appreciative of him and hope I did not wear him thin so he will help at my other events lol.

The day of the Drink&Swap was a beautiful Sunday and it was held inside the new Design Lab Studio in the Art Craft building on Superior.  Although I had a great response on Facebook, only four ladies showed up which actually worked out for the best because to be real- I was pretty much winging it and did not know what should happen and it looks better if you play it by ear to a small crowd than a larger one lol. But it all worked out...

I started by offering the ladies appetizers which included, bite sized chicken taquitos, a veggie platter, cheese and grapes (which I cut up my dang on self because fruit and cheese trays are expensive!) small bites made of tortilla chips stuffed with ground turkey, cheese and salsa, and homemade Oreo cookie bark.  My drinks were a special white wine spritzer I made purple by adding just a splash of grape Kool-Aid (they had no purple food dye anywhere in the city of Cleveland). I somehow at the last minute found grape Twizzlers and Mike and Ikes which I put into the gift bags.


Small munchies and crunchies...


Pour it up!


Everyone brought in great clothes and accessories...

We then moved on to play a fashion trivia game which led to a discussion on spring/summer trends, silhouettes of the season and shopping and styling tricks. Then we had a very open and honest discussion about wardrobe dilemmas plus size women face while shopping, body shaming issues and fashion industry bias that we are tired of dealing with. We spoke about everything, nothing was off limits (like where to find the best strapless bra if you are bigger than a DDD) and it was very personal and intimate and fun to be involved in.

Fashion trivia and group discussion...

The ladies all participated and everyone had something to add to the group.

Then it was time to shop! The ladies had all brought a nice assortment of clothing, jewelry and shoes so we had a nice amount to pick from.  I offered styling suggestions as everyone shopped and showed them new ways to wear something they liked but could not quite justify- arms too big for the jacket sleeves? Cut it off and make a custom vest... Dress one size too big, but you like the color and shape? Cinch it with a belt or better yet take it to a tailor to have it altered- it was free!

The accessories table was the first to get ravaged...

Swapper Chrissy debating on a brand new with the tag still on pair of pants.

Erin brought her hilarious mom Teresa

Checking the size, but not the price lol!

Chloe taking full advantage of the necklace section...

Teresa scored a mint green lace peplum top that fit her perfectly...

There were brief pockets of silence and background music as the ladies sipped and swapped...

Chloe utilizing the shopping bag for her swag while Chrissy debates on which accessory will leave with her.

Everyone left with something, they received gift bags with a small token of my appreciation and complimentary shopping bags.  We then took photos and after me giving a very brief runway lesson (which no one else will ever see lol) we had a mini style show.  I had a blast and the ladies all said they had fun too and were happy they came. I am definitely planning to have another one sometime in the very near future!





I had so much fun with these stylish ladies!

Tired, but very happy!
And here is the video footage from the event!


No comments:

Post a Comment