Sunday, September 30, 2012

FASHION GOES PINK CHARITY FASHION SHOW

Design Lab Inc. the awesome fashion co-op that I am a part of is throwing their 2nd annual Fashion Goes Pink Charity Fashion Show on October 14, 2012 at the Cleveland State University MC Auditorium. We are teaming up with Susan G. Komen foundation and 75% of our donations are going towards the north east Ohio chapter to aid in the fight against breast cancer. Visit our website for more info: fashiongoespink.com

  We have been planning this show for what seems like years now, we have our designers, just completed three model calls and the designers are getting their collections together.  I'm in charge of the public relations (PR coordinator, thanks) and have been responsible for writing the press release, the media alerts and the sponsorship letter.  It's been cool because I have been going back and forth with fellow fashion bloggers in Cleveland (we do exist lol) to invite them to the show and cover it for their blogs. 

I also had to speak with my editor at the Plain Dealer about the possible conflict of interest. I freelance fashion stories for the newspaper from time to time and one of my last stories just happened to be about the Design Lab Inc., shortly after the story came out I got asked to join the team.  The conflict came into play when I started sending out the press releases and alerts and realized I could not send one to the fashion editor Emily Hamlin Smith.

 In journalism there is a code of ethics we follow and basically you can't write about something that is close to you or that you are involved in.  Remember Kim Crow? The former fashion editor stepped down a few years ago when she opened her retail store Evie Lou out in Tremont partly because of the potential conflict.  So I had to shoot an email to Mrs. Hamlin Smith stating what my position is with DLI, how and (most importantly) when I got the position and could I in fact send in information pertaining to the show.

Before I did that I called my fellow alumni and former editor of The Gold Torch (our Central State newspaper) Ken-Yon H.  When Ken-Yon graduated I took over editorial duties of the paper and learned so much from him! He taught me about layout, design, how to edit, how to write entertaining news stories and everything else (including how to obtain press passes lol).  He now works for the Dayton Daily News and I facebooked (only in the 21st century is that a verb smdh) him asking how I should proceed with that situation.  As busy as I know he is, and even though we have not talked in a few years (homecomings only) he stopped whatever he was doing and called me right then and there to discuss.  He explained to me everything I needed to know, I emailed her and the first sentence in the editor's response was "Thanks for being up front." THANKS KEN-YON!

I never want to burn any bridges and I love how each of my opportunities open the doors for something else.  I can't wait to see how the show comes together and how the response from the audience will be.  I'm nervous because I'm a part of something bigger than me and I don't want to mess up my part lol.  I'm not good at selling things but I would like to try to sell some... Tickets are available for purchase at Cloud 9 Boutique and Dru Christine Fabrics, or you can purchase online at www.fashiongoespink.ticketbud.com...  



(photos taken from dee hayes fb page)

*Fashion Has the Power to Make A Difference*

2 comments:

  1. I'M SO PROUD O YOU FRIEND. THAT'S ALL I CAN SAY. YOUR ON YOUR WAY TO SOMETHING REALLY BIG. ALL OF YOUR HARD WORK IS GOING TO PAY OFF SOONER THAN YOU KNOW. I CAN'T WAIT SO I CAN GET SOME DISCOUNTS AND FREE PASSES. GOD BLESS YOU BESTIE! WE LOVE YOU! GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks friend!!! please retire the caps lock. please.

    ReplyDelete