Wednesday, September 12, 2012

PLACES TO GO, PEOPLE TO SEE...

 Images are the books of the unlettered.  For what the Scriptures teaches those who read, this same the image shows to those who cannot read but see.- Pope Gregory the Great (540-604)

Another outing was to one of my favorite places, (besides the library of course) the Cleveland Museum of Art.  We have one of the best art museums in the world! I swear I'm not just saying that... okay New York might have us beat but for the sake of argument ours is top notch. I attended the Cleveland School of the Arts for one year my eleventh grade year and spent more time skipping school across the street at the museum than actually in class (hmm maybe that's why I wasn't "invited" back for the next year ha!). 

Originally I went to audition for the art program but after comparing my stick figure/ameoba like drawings to the Picasso-esque drawings and paintings on the walls during my audition I quickly and seamlessly switched to creative writing. I never quite fit in because those kids had been knowing each other since like 4th grade and here comes my weird ass disrupting the intimate comradery new student style, so I used to skip as much as I possibly could without getting suspended and just turned in my work.  Yeah, I leave that part out when talking to my son lol.  Anyway, that led me to the wonderful museum where I used to spend hours upon hours sketching, writing and daydreaming while looking at the art.

Fastforward a few years and a couple of art appreciation and art history classes later and it's still a favorite spot.  I love the history behind all of it and these were a few of my faves:

I always try to reinterpret pieces for modern use, sometimes on paper but mostly in my head lol.  I would remove the chin strap of this African headgear, cover it with iridescent sequins and make the feather purple-voila couture fascinator...take that Kate Middleton and co.!

This gilded table is so on trend right now! As you know the baroque style and embellishment trend was all over the fall 2012 runways (Balmain, Dolce and Gabbana, Mui Mui) and this beautiful table with its deco inspired curves really drew me in.

Yes it is metal, but tell me you would not rock this as a sleeveless party dress with a pair of fierce black knee high boots?
Oh just me? Okay lol.

Another medieval armor piece...The detail is incredible...a peplum waist jacket with detatchable sleeves anyone?

I love portrait paintings, you can tell the style of the times along with the hair and makeup trends of the day.


The African piece at the bottom right corner is actually a waist pouch (fanny pack screams 90's NY tourist) used during ceromonies.  I would rock it today with a pair of skinnies and a white tank... The painting above it tells the story of mortal Psyche and Cupid -who basically played her every night by sleeping with her but not allowing her to know his identity. Smdh... even in mythical Greek art men ain't shit lol. And the one I'm standing in front of is by Caravaggio, one of my fave artists besides Dali... He brought "naturalism" to art by depicting his subjects in a frank manner and using light and dark tones instead of making everyone look all heroic and angel like.

I forgot the name of this particular goddess, but the colors were absolulty beautiful in this painting and do you see how detailed the drape of her chiton is? Breathtaking!
After exiting the art museum I headed outside and saw that Wade Oval Wednesday (WOW ) was going and recalled it being a reggea performance so I stayed for that which was so cool and so much fun.  It jumped like what I imagined Woodstock did back in '69, or some other awesome outdoor concert that I was never apart of.  I mean there were guppies, buppies, hippies, thugs (and the women who love them) of all cultures, young and old all dancing and partying together.  The vibe was beyond incredible, the dress code was as eclectic as the crowd and the group were really great performers.  I was so glad I attended and proud to be a resident in such a great city.  Who says there is nothing to do in Cleveland? As my mom said to me once when I was 8 yrs. old after hearing me whine one time too many about being bored, "Only boring people get bored."

I loved the crowd diversity (and the fashion of course).

You cannot go to any type of summer outing and not get a giant Icee/slushie thingamajig. Well I can't.
It was tough getting thru the crowds but I was on a mission to dance!

The reggea band had the whole rowd rockin!


I had no shame asking a complete stranger to stop clapping and take my pic. 
And he waited patiently as I applied my lipgloss and turned to "my good side".
When I first moved to Ohio City/Detroit Shoreway about 4 years ago I used to walk around and explore the neighborhood and thought how cool and artsy the place was.  Boutiques, food spots, a library, a playground, a grocery store, art galleries and other cool little places all within walking distance! I was so happy that I moved here and one of the first eateries I decided to try out was Johnny Mangos, a world food bar with a nice decor. I decided to chance it again. Yep, I still could only afford the nachos and lemonade lmao! But it was good and fresh and I like sitting at bars by myself with a fashion magazine. I feel so Sex and the City lol...

Bare ass nachos from Johhny Mangos lol... the ingredients were very fresh though.
I also got a chance to attend a jewelry party given by Sky Couture, the same ladies who collaborated with me on my first jewelry shoot.  I absolutly love LaDonna and Karen's spirit and hustle.  They are Design Lab fam and always look out for me.  They keep me laced in the hottest, most exclusive pieces and I buy from them so much I almost feel disloyal buying jewelry from anywhere else.  Body chains in silver, gold and bronze? Check.  Huge glittery rings and statement necklaces? Check.  Crazy fabricated earrings and bracelets? Check! They have something for everybody and every budget and I was honored to have a collection of purple pieces named after me!  I pretty much just hand them my credit card as soon as they say they have a new shipment lol.

Karen and LaDonna of Sky Couture Jewelry.

The set up, an accessory lovers dream!

Beautiful ethnic inspired necklace, earrings and bracelets.

Look at all the shiny, pretty, sparkly AFFORDABLE things!

Loud and colorful, bold designs.

The hottest thing out right now are the cuff/ring hybrid, so glam!
It was super hot in the Lab, but that didn't stop this happy customer from purchasing a Mother Africa necklace and ring set.

This is the most gorgeous necklace in the whole collection! 
I couldn't stay at the party too long because I had to rush downtown to meet my fairy fashion godfather and all round too fabulous for words friend Redwin, owner of the best vintage store in the midwest called Suite Lorain.  If you have never been to Suite Lorain stop whatever you had going on and set aside two or three hours to browse through a severly edited wall to wall space of nostalgia.  It's like a fashion history museum come to life with things that you can actually purchase and buy.  I have so many winter coats, accessories and a few dresses (old school sizes be damned) from there that I'm like a walking advertisement.  Redwin is so awesome and has helped me score many sweet opportunities in Cleveland that he will certainly get his own post.

Anyway so we were meeting downtown for dun dun dunna dun (or however you spell it) a special screening of Breakfast at Tiffany's at the Palace Theater.  Ok I must confess- Redwin and I like to dress up. No, I mean like full on jewels and done up to the sun up type of dressing (he once wore a pair of vintage red Levi hip huggers with extra wide bell bottom to the Bounce.  I'll give you a moment to digest that.) complete with staged scenarios and camera phone pics. 


The original plan was for me to go as Audrey in my LBD and pearls with my purple bun at the top of my head, a cute retro looking feathery headpiece and cocktail ring, but unfortunatly I could not stop at home and change from the jewelry party like I thought.  Redwin was dressed to thrill in a white ruffled tuxedo jacket and just looked all types of EPIC!!  The movie was enjoyed by all but the fun part was after the movie was over.  We left out a little earlier than everybody else and perched ourselves right at the door.  Why you ask? Well of course so we could be seen by EVERYBODY! And yes, people got IN lol.  And just in case they didn't we walked slowly back and forth pretending to look for a "friend" who was late meeting us. And yes we had our sunglasses on.  Inside the theater lobby. AT 10 o' clock at night lol. See why I love this man so much?  The highlight of the night was when a group of starry eyed girls asked if we were famous.  I looked at Redwin who quickly said, "Not yet!" And we bumped...

I am not above taking bathroom pics in the Palace Theater bathroom. Are you?

Redwin and I in front of the Palace getting our photo taken by admirers.

In front of Cowell & Hubbard restaurant on a perfect breezy summer night.
We went right down the street to Cowell and Hubbard, a swanky restaurant owned by Zack Bruell (who?) where the atmosphere is dark and intimate and the food is small in serving size and pricey.  We ordered desert- I had a delicous lavender and honey vanilla ice cream that was absolutly delectable and Redwin had some minty brownie/pudding like thing that was pretty good.  We chatted for like two hours telling fashion stories and gossiping about the people around us (very Mean Girls lol) and vintage celebrity gossip. 

One reason we get along so well is our love for pop culture, both new and retro.  Our conversations can range from a 1920's mint green sink he scored on Ebay, to a heated discussion on who is the hottest between 90s Brad Pitt and the current David Beckham (Pitt then, now and in death, thanks.) and how many men and women Joan Crawford slept with at the height of her career.  We have the best most spontaneous convos ever and I am forever greatful that I have someone to obsess about all things pop culture.

I ended my footloose and fancy free week on a proper note.  I "rested" all day on Sunday, pleased and worn out from my solo adventures, and did all my girly things, painted my toes, washed my hair, drew a lavender bubblebath and chilled until my son came home.  Ahhhh....

No comments:

Post a Comment